Thursday, April 2, 2009

Frost yourself

The title of my blog is from a movie-anybody? Anyway, today was an interesting day. We had a luncheon with a silent auction and fashion show. It is one of our biggest fundraisers of the year. Since I work in the non-profit world fundraisers are mightily important. Some how I got conned into being the model for a diamond necklace that was donated to our organization. Basically, you could buy a chance to win this necklace, each ticket was $100. We only had 100 jewelery boxes to sell, at some point during the luncheon we would hand them out and one person would win this necklace worth 2,000. It was a very pretty necklace with 39 diamonds, 1 carat total, blah blah blah. So in my head I was thinking of one of my all time favorite movies "How to lose a guy in 10 days." (hence, the title of my blog) I was going to show up in a fab dress and a hot guy will come up to me and say - Frost yourself! :) Only, it didn't really happen that way. I wore a very beautiful dress, a bridesmaids dress from my best friends wedding which I swore I would never wear again, I eat my words. Many people looked at me but I think most of them thought I was WAY overdressed and felt a little sorry for me. I felt like I was at prom all over again. You know when you get there and everyone is telling you how pretty you are but you just feel so awkward? Yeah, well that is what I felt like but this time it wasn't with 300 of my closest adolescent friends, I was the only one. I walked around this fancy luncheon in the ballroom of this fancy hotel showing off a beautiful necklace. It was kind of fun, but still awkward. There was a little added pressure because we had to sell 100 tickets in 3 hours. NO pressure there! I am sorry to say I didn't take pictures. I did however have my picture taken several times by a sweet old man ( he was the photographer) He kept asking me to pose, it was so hilarious! We did sell 100 tickets and raised 10,000 for our international humanitarian aid programs! This made my 3 hour awkward prom well worth it. My passion is international missions and raising awareness for the helpless orphaned children around the world, even though this was a small part I am really thankful to be apart of an organization that is help to the helpless. Plus it was kind of fun that my job for the day was to be a diamond model. Do you think I should add that to my resume?

2 comments:

Leslie said...

I wish I could have seen you! I'm sure you looked gorgeous at your adult prom! And I do wish there were pictures! Now all you need is a little ugly dog, a couple of plaid shirts and you are on your way to a "Little Plaid Family" of your own. Oh, and maybe the guy! Call me if you need help photoshopping a family album together!

Anonymous said...

I"m sure you looked beautiful, but I wish there were pictures! That is my favorite movie, "Ladies of New York frost yourself!!!" I want to be frosted.

I agree with Leslie, you need the plaid scarf next!